Sunday, September 12, 2010

What I did on my Summer vacation

The highlights: sewed, knit, picked berries, burned strawberry jam, swam, swam, swam, collected sea glass, shells, and sand, read a great book, read some not so great books, made more strawberry jam -- this time no burning, picked blueberries, made blueberry jam, got really excited about all the jam, sewed more, knit more, cleaned off my dining room table, got my very own computer, saw friends, caught fireflies, went to the farmers' market, played games, saw my Gramma, ate crabs in the backyard, celebrated some birthdays, rode bikes...


A very eventful uneventful summer.


And now it's back to school time. The phrase is a bit of a misnomer for us. We homeschool, so really...there is no "back to" school time. It's just a continuation of what we have doing. This is our first "official" year. But I think that I've come to realize, that for us, nothing really changed for the first day of school. We just did what we do. We had a big ta'do with pictures and everything for our first day of homeschool co-op, but the school part, the everyday learning, that just moved on at its own pace. No stop or start to our year. It's nice, and a bit unsettling (for me) at the same time, since this is not the norm I grew up with. But the great thing, and the thing that helped me to know that we are doing the right thing for us, is that it is the norm for little one. She loves the way she gets to learn new things. It is so much a part of her everyday. It would be like having a first day of tooth brushing picture after brushing her teeth for 5 years. Arbitrary. And yet, a good reason to pause, and mark this time that is going by oh so quickly.



So, in other news

Jade with Craft Hope has put out a fantastic book. Check it out. It's lovely and amazing, just like Jade. (ps, that's my Hope Note on page 50! ACK!)

Elsie Marley is having a kids clothing challenge week that I've signed up to try. An hour a day, you work on kids clothes, sewing, knitting, whatever. It sounds fun to me! Wanna play too?



How was your summer? What's happening this Fall?

No comments: